Those negative thoughts get us all on occasion, I felt that the following advice was really useful and decided to pass it on to as many people as possible. Thanks to my local ‘Mind’ centre for putting these top tips out there.
Maintaning positive thoughts
• We can all have negative thoughts. Whether we choose to believe them or not will impact on how we feel about ourselves. Choose your thoughts well
• Negative thoughts can be a learned belief and therefore they can be unlearnt
• The more energy you give to negative thoughts the more powerful they become
• Conversely the more energy you give to positive thoughts the more powerful they become
• Challenge any negative thoughts as soon as they appear and replace them with a positive thought
• Make a list of positive statements about yourself that you can repeat to yourself on a regular basis e.g. 10- 20 times a day! Does that sound too much?
• If it does sound too much, think about how many times you talk negatively about yourself – it is likely to be much more than 20 times a day
• It may feel alien at first to repeat positive statements about yourself however persistence is important. It is possible with conscious effort to change our thoughts
Managing low mood
• Talk about how you are feeling to someone who you are comfortable to share your thoughts with eg a friend or a relative
• When other people say hurtful things to you, try not to take it personally. Maybe they are projecting their feelings on to you?
• Keep a positive diary and everyday list 5 positive things about your day – it can be as little as being aware of the sun shining. Note – no negative things can go in the diary!
• Keep active physically by exercising daily, even if it’s only a short walk. Just getting out in the fresh air can be beneficial
• Keep active mentally as this will help distract you from your negative thoughts.
• Keep a list of things that you can occupy your day with
• Eat regular nutritionally balanced meals as this can help maintain your mood
• Try to socialise even if it’s just for a few hours a week
• Do things that you enjoy daily such as a hobby
• Take time to relax everyday and listen to music that elevates your mood